Goal-setting is one of the best ways to get ahead in life – but only if you’re setting your goals effectively!
Are you trying for unattainable goals that you aren’t really passionate about? Do you quickly give up on your goals? It can be easy to get discouraged, but you don’t have to end up there!
With the right strategies, you can set goals that really matter to you and meet them more easily than you ever imagined.
Most importantly, your goals should be yours and not someone else’s. The goals that your parents, friends, and family members have for you may not be the same for yourself.
What’s Important to YOU?
Too many people set goals to be rich, write a best-selling novel, or be someone who’s famous, wealthy, or otherwise important or influential. If those are truly your dreams, there’s nothing wrong with that! However, if they’re society’s dreams – and not yours – let them go and think about what really matters to you. What do you want out of your life? In goal-setting, this is also referred to as knowing your WHY.
When you’re setting goals, stop and ask yourself, “What will bring me joy, beauty and happiness?”
Your goals might include things like:
- Finishing college
- Starting your own business
- Changing careers
- Helping others
- Buying your own home
- Getting married
- Having children
- Having material wealth
- Being physically fit
- Attaining spiritual enlightenment
No matter what you choose or how many goals you have, you can reach them if you’re dedicated and committed to making them happen.
Making Your Dreams Come True
Once you’ve decided what really matters to you and you set your goals, you can begin to make them a reality in your life. Although your goals will take some work, and there will often be obstacles, watching them come into fruition is exciting and satisfying!
Follow these tips to help you achieve your goals:
- Keep your focus. Keep a picture of the life you desire at the forefront of your mind. When frivolous things try to distract you, as they will, remember to make choices according to what’s really important to you.
- Take action toward your goal every day. Each day, find something you can do that will bring you a little closer to meeting your goal.
- When challenges arise, getting discouraged won’t change anything so seek solutions that can put you back on track. Just stay focused and adjust your plans as necessary.
- Be open to change. Your goals aren’t set in stone. If you choose to change what you’re focused on and set a new goal, that doesn’t mean you’ve given up on your goals. It only means you’ve seen that your goals need to change, just as you change. That’s a sign of growth and wisdom.
- Set realistic timelines. Some goals can be met in a day or a week, but larger goals often take months or years. When you set goals, it’s important to be realistic about how long you expect them to take.
- If it’s too far away, you might procrastinate, or you may not start at all.
- If it’s too soon, you’ll be frustrated and discouraged if you don’t make your deadline.
- Divide your goal into small steps. Another great way to reach your goals is to divide big goals into smaller ones. Each small goal is one step, or one task, on the way to achieving your ultimate goal.
- Set individual deadlines for these small steps. This way, you’ll always be moving forward, one step at a time.
- For example, if your goal is to own your own business, there are things you’ll need to look into like licensing, income, credit, location, and others. Each one of these tasks is one step. You could also subdivide these steps into even smaller goals.
- Avoid giving up. Many people give up on their goals just before they reach them, not even realizing how close they were. Never give up! You may be closer than you think.
These strategies will enable you to not only reach your goal, but also enjoy the journey along the way – all without getting overwhelmed!
Are you working towards goals that matter to you?
It’s important that you are. When you feel like the goal your working to achieve is for someone else, it can be easy to get discouraged, unmotivated, and therefore harder to find success! Either alter your goals or your values! There’s only so much resistance a person can overcome. Success is much easier when your goals are something you care about and want to achieve!
4WRD is a great place to make sure you’re working towards the right goals for you.
In 4WRD, reflection is built into the goal-setting and goal-achieving process! Using 4WRD can help you determine what is important to you, what your goals should be, and how to find success!